How to play Command & Conquer Generals on Windows 10
C&C Generals is now playable on Windows 10 | Campaign and Multiplayer Online!
Step 1: Get Generals and Zero Hour
You can now buy a digital copy of all 12 Command & Conquer games from the EA Origin Store.
If you own a physical copy of Generals and Zero hour, or own it digitally, skip this step.
More information on which C&C games have been officially been released as freeware can be found here.
Step 2: Install Generals and Zero Hour
Physical & TFD: Install the Game from the Discs
Origin: Install the game via the Origin Client
Note: Disabling Origin in-game is recommended. To find out how to do that, head here.
Step 3: Apply Patches (Physical Only, Skip if on Origin or First Decade)
If you have a Physical (NOT The First Decade) version of Generals and Zero Hour you will need the latest patches.
Note: You can skip this step if you own the game physically as part of the First Decade or digitally on Origin.
Step 4: Apply Fixes for Windows 10
Genpatcher is an all-in-one application for updating Generals and Zero Hour to run correctly with Windows 10.
- Download and launch GenPatcher.
- Click the Apply Fixes button to apply a number of fixes to the game and get it working flawlessly on Windows 10.
- You can also install GenTool using GenPatcher (Highly Recommended).
- GenTool will allow you to play on C&C-Online and provide features such as widescreen support, extended single-player zoom out support, anti-cheat for online, and more.
- Note: GenTool might be flagged up by your anti-virus, so you may need to whitelist it. This is a false positive, as GenTool is not a virus and won't harm your computer.
For help and support, head over here.
Step 5: Setup Borderless Fullscreen Mode (Requires GenTool)
Generals and Zero Hour regularly crash when you attempt to Alt+Tab out of the game window. Enabling Borderless Fullscreen using the following instructions will make the game more stable.
- If you are using Origin
- Configure the game to run in windowed mode. Right click on Generals/Zero Hour in Origin
- Click "Game Properties"
- Navigate to the "Advanced Launch Options" tab
- Type "-win" (without the quotes) into the command line arguments box
- If you are using a Physical version of the game
- Create a shortcut of the Generals (or Zero Hour) executable
- Right click on the shortcut and select “Properties”
- In the “Target” box at the end of the directory path (after the quotation mark) type "-win" (without the quotes)
- Apply and Exit
Now launch the game.
- Once in the main menu, configure your resolution in the options menu.
- Press "Insert" on the keyboard to bring up GenTool's options menu (On laptops this is usually connected to the Fn key).
- Navigate down the options in GenTool and change the Window Position to "FULL".
You should now have Generals running with borderless fullscreen, which is incredibly smooth and compatible with Alt+Tabbing!
Step 6: Play Singleplayer!
You are now able to play Generals and Zero Hour campaigns in singleplayer!
Step 7: Play Multiplayer!
C&C Online is a community-made and managed online server for Generals & Zero Hour.
Here are the steps to get your game online!
- Sign up for a C&C Online Account here.
- Be sure to activate your account via email.
- Your C&C Online account is also a Revora forums account.
- Once your account has been activated, login and create Server Login information on the C&C Online page:
- Server Username
- Server Email
- Server Password
- Click the Generals or Zero Hour button to launch the game.
- In the game, navigate to the settings menu and setup the community's recommended graphical settings for playing online.
- Note: To get the Advanced Display Options menu to appear, select “Custom” from the drop-down menu.
- In Network Options, your IP must be like it is on your Home Ethernet in order to connect online i.e. 192.168.x.x
- In the game, navigate to the online multiplayer menu and login using the C&C Online details that you created earlier.
- Enjoy playing Generals and Zero Hour online!
Generals & Zero Hour Crash when Alt+Tabbing in Fullscreen Mode
If you run the game in Fullscreen (NOT Borderless Fullscreen) the game will sometimes crash when you attempt to Alt+Tab out of it. The fix for this is to use d3d8to9-wrapper, which improves compatibility and stability of the game significantly by converting all Direct3D 8-API calls and low level shaders to equivalent Direct3D 9 ones.
- Download the latest version of d3d8to9
- If you also use Gentool: rename the file from d3d8.dll to d3d8x.dll to make sure you don't overwrite Gentool.
- Place the file in the game directory of both Generals and Zero Hour.
- Play the game.
Zero Hour is Censored in Germany
The German version of Zero Hour is censored. To remove the censorship, install the Zero Hour Uncut mod.
C&C Generals Mods
Here's a list of C&C Generals and Zero Hour mods on the base game and on other game-engines.
- Rise of the Reds - Improves upon the C&C Generals formula while also adding its own distinct elements to it. Most notably, the mod adds two completely new factions, the tank-heavy Russian Federation and the defence-oriented European Continental Alliance. In addition, the three original factions China, USA and GLA have been greatly expanded and redesigned in a variety of ways, with several new units, buildings, powers and abilities to explore and combine in your in-game tactics.
- C&C: ShockWave - The main goal of this mod is to make Zero Hour a more interesting game with more diversity between the generals, making you think twice before you select a certain general, and overall provide more choices, diversity, and strategic freedom than in Zero Hour - while keeping the spirit and design direction of the original Generals game and storyline.
- Contra - Adds many new units as well as numerous new upgrades, new general's powers and buildings. It also adds new sounds, maps, bug fixes, enhanced graphics, and other effects, as well as three new generals.
- Operation: Firestorm - The goal of this mod is not to redefine, but to enhance the C&C Generals multiplayer and skirmish gameplay experience. The core gameplay as well as the base factions will stay the same, but are both greatly extended and improved.
- The End Of Days - This is a freeware modification for C&C: Generals Zero Hour. The mod adds a new playable faction - Russia, and greatly improves the original three with new units, structures and special powers!
- C&C Generals Evolution - Generals Evolution is a total conversion mod for Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 that aims to recreate Generals in the updated SAGE engine.