Step 1: Get Generals and Zero Hour
You can now buy a digital copy of all 12 Command & Conquer games from the EA Origin Store.
If you own a physical copy of Generals and Zero hour, or own it digitally, skip this step.
More information on which C&C games have been officially been released as freeware can be found here.
Step 2: Install Generals and Zero Hour
Physical & TFD: Install the Game from the Discs
Origin: Install the game via the Origin Client
Note: Disabling Origin in-game is recommended. To find out how to do that, head here.
Step 3: Apply Patches (Physical Only)
If you have a Physical (NOT The First Decade) version of Generals and Zero Hour you will need the latest patches.
Note: You can skip this step if you own the game physically as part of the First Decade or digitally on Origin.
Step 4: Apply Fixes for Windows 10
Genpatcher is an all-in-one application for updating Generals and Zero Hour to run correctly with Windows 10.
- Download and launch GenPatcher.
- Click the Apply Fixes button to apply a number of fixes to the game and get it working flawlessly on Windows 10.
- You can also install GenTool using GenPatcher (Recommended).
- GenTool will allow you to play on C&C-Online and provide features such as widescreen support, extended single-player zoom out support, anti-cheat for online, and more.
- Note: GenTool might be flagged up by your anti-virus, so you may need to white-list it. This is a false positive, as GenTool is not a virus and won't harm your computer.
For help and support, head over here.
Step 5: Setup Borderless Fullscreen Mode (Requires GenTool)
Generals and Zero Hour regularly crash when you attempt to Alt+Tab out of the game window. Enabling Borderless Fullscreen using the following instructions will make the game more stable.
- If you are using Origin
- Configure the game to run in windowed mode. Right click on Generals/Zero Hour in Origin
- Click "Game Properties"
- Navigate to the "Advanced Launch Options" tab
- Type "-win" (without the quotes) into the command line arguments box
- If you are using a Physical version of the game
- Create a shortcut of the Generals (or Zero Hour) executable
- Right click on the shortcut and select “Properties”
- In the “Target” box at the end of the directory path (after the quotation mark) type "-win" (without the quotes)
- Apply and Exit
Now launch the game.
- Once in the main menu, configure your resolution in the options menu.
- Press "Insert" on the keyboard to bring up GenTool's options menu (On laptops this is usually connected to the Fn key).
- Navigate down the options in GenTool and change the Window Position to "FULL".
You should now have Generals running with borderless fullscreen, which is incredibly smooth and compatible with Alt+Tabbing!
Step 6: Play Singleplayer!
You are now able to play Generals and Zero Hour campaigns in singleplayer!
Step 7: Play Multiplayer!
C&C Online is a community-made and managed online server for Generals & Zero Hour.
Here are the steps to get your game online!
- Sign up for a C&C Online Account here.
- Be sure to activate your account via email.
- Your C&C Online account is also a Revora forums account.
- Once your account has been activated, login and create Server Login information on the C&C Online page:
- Server Username
- Server Email
- Server Password
- Click the Generals or Zero Hour button to launch the game.
- In the game, navigate to the settings menu and setup the community's recommended graphical settings for playing online.
- Note: To get the Advanced Display Options menu to appear, select “Custom” from the drop-down menu.
- In Network Options, your IP must be like it is on your Home Ethernet in order to connect online i.e. 192.168.x.x
- In the game, navigate to the online multiplayer menu and login using the C&C Online details that you created earlier.
- Enjoy playing Generals and Zero Hour online!
Generals & Zero Hour Crash when Alt+Tabbing in Fullscreen Mode
If you run the game in Fullscreen (NOT Borderless Fullscreen) the game will sometimes crash when you attempt to Alt+Tab out of it. The fix for this is to use d3d8to9-wrapper, which improves compatibility and stability of the game significantly by converting all Direct3D 8-API calls and low level shaders to equivalent Direct3D 9 ones.
- Download the latest version of d3d8to9
- If you also use Gentool: rename the file from d3d8.dll to d3d8x.dll to make sure you don't overwrite Gentool.
- Place the file in the game directory of both Generals and Zero Hour.
- Play the game.
Zero Hour is Censored in Germany
The German version of Zero Hour is censored. To remove the censorship, install the Zero Hour Uncut mod.